Tuesday, August 23, 2005

More Diaper Talk

Before Pumpkin was born Mr. P and I decided to be environmentally conscious and use cloth diapers. I am not a “tree hugger”, though being the product of hippies I do come closer to that label than Mr. P. We recycle just like any good earth citizen should. We support measures to preserve open land and we donate monthly to WWF. Beyond that we do not go out of our way to be “environmental”. However the mere fact that most babies go through approximately 5,000 disposable diapers before they are potty trained, and that said diapers take ages to biodegrade, disturbed me. I could not consciously leave my daughter a world with that much more waste than necessary. So cloth it would be.

When we told family and friends of this decision they looked at us as if we had tentacles protruding from our heads. They told us to our faces that we were nuts; that no-one uses cloth diapers anymore; that we would not make it a week before changing to disposable. Yet unlike some of our other pre-birth declarations which fell through, such as not giving Pumpkin a pacifier (yeah, well, she really needed it – or I at least needed the peace), we still are a cloth diapering household.

What many people do not realize is that cloth diapers have come a long way since the days of special folds and pins. There are many systems out there that make cloth diapering almost as easy as disposable. We chose the Bambino Mio system, which consists of a rectangle cloth diaper simply folded in three, a plastic lined, Velcro closable diaper cover and a biodegradable nappy liner which catches all the poops and can be flushed down the toilet. Yes I do have to do loads of wash all the time, but when you consider that I wash sheets, towels and other whites with them it is not that many more loads. We do use disposable though outside of the home though, when traveling or visiting people, since it is not too nice to lug loads of wet diapers around.

So to all those who told us we were nuts, and that we would never continue it, I say hahaha. Now as punishment for your doubt and lack of faith you need to come change a particularly disgusting poopie diaper which Pumpkin made special for you.

I do speak about poop an awful lot don’t I… poop, poop, poop…

posted by Laura @ 12:14 PM   2 comments